How To Locate And Shut Off Your Main Water Supply
Save time, money, and prevent further damages. We’ll help you locate and shut off your main water supply in no time. If you’re looking for a reliable plumbing and heating contractor in New Westminster BC, Shaul’s is the one. Aside from plumbing services in New Westminster BC, we also offer heating and gas services in New Westminster BC.
Being able to find the main water valve and turning it off immediately will save you from headaches when there’s an emergency, like having a burst pipe. You will also want to make sure the water is turned off when you plan to replace or repair pipes, or remodel your house, or perform maintenance.
Your Main Valve Can Be Located:
- In the basement
- On an outside wall like near the front foundation wall
- Near the main water pipe which is in the kitchen or in a utility room
- In a closet near the bathroom
- Through the property inspection report noted upon purchase of the house
Turning Off The Valve Can Be Done Depending On The Design
- A gate valve is one with a round handle. You can put it off by turning the handle clockwise or to the right, as far as possible.
- You can switch off the ball valve, the one where the handle is parallel to the pipe when it’s open, by turning the handle clockwise. It should stop at a ¼ turn. The handle should form an L-shape or a right angle to the pipe.
Whichever design your valve has, turning it off is always done clockwise.
Locating the main water supply should not be a heavy task. Everyone in the house should know how to locate it and how to shut it off. When the valve is difficult to turn off, you need to call in a plumber.
Shaul’s Plumbing and Heating Ltd. is a licensed plumbing contractor in New Westminster BC that offers plumbing and heating services in New Westminster BC. We can assist you with plumbing repairs, maintenance, and emergencies. If you also need to service your gas appliances, we are the right gas contractor in New Westminster BC for you to call. Contact us here.