Know When To Change Your Furnace Filter
How do you know when your filter has got too much dirt stuck that it needs replacement?
There is no clear rule, however, if your filter just has a slight layer of dirt in which the material of the filter is still clear, then your filter is in fine operation. When it goes further than that, it’s meant to be changed out. When there is a clear dirt layer covering much of the surface of your filter which is sufficiently thick to hide the filter material itself, this is a sign that your filter has been much too long in your HVAC system.
We at Shaul’s recommend that you change your 1-2 inch filters every three months, 4-inch filters every six months and 5-inch filters every 12 months.
We also recommend that you change cheaper fibreglass filters every 1 month, and higher-end pleated filters every 6 months. Our general rule would be to change your filters every 3 months.
Signs To Look For To Know Your Air Filter Needs Replacement:
- The filter is clearly gray in colour. Of course, if you cannot see the filter material itself, it should be replaced.
- The heating/cooling system runs faster than average.
- Your home is more dusty than usual.
- You notice strange odours or a burning smell near your HVAC unit.
- Your existing filter has been in use for longer than suggested by the manufacturer (depending on your filter, anywhere from one to six months).
Take your filter out every few weeks and give it a look! Is there a musty smell in it? Is it covered in dust? If in doubt, erring on the side of removing your filter is always safest. They are relatively inexpensive, and that small cost of keeping your heating and cooling vents open when your energy bill comes due will be worth it.
If you need further assistance on knowing when to change your filters, or if you need a professional to help you change your filters, call Shaul’s at 778-397-4850 to schedule an appointment with us.